Oil pastels on black paper give this project an interesting depth. The picture I have of this one doesn't do it justice.
9x12 black paper (or larger)
scrap paper for practice
1. Practice drawing pumpkins on scrap paper. Start with an oval for the middle of the pumpkin. Add two or three curved shapes on each side of the oval for the next "bumps" on the pumpkin. Don't forget to add the stem!
2. After you've practiced, use a pencil to draw three or four pumpkins on the black paper. Draw different size pumpkins. Don't forget to draw the stems!
3. Use the pencil to draw three or four landscape lines around the pumpkins.
4. Trace over all the pencil lines with white pastel.
5. Using oil pastels, color in the pumpkins. work from light to dark colors. Start with yellow, then add orange and orange red to each bump of the pumpkin. Blend with a fingertip or tissue.
6. Color in the landscape sections.
7. Add a black shadow to one side of each pumpkin.
This lesson is from Creative Art Lessons.