This recipe is enough to make one golf ball size batch of slime
What you need:
- Elmer's glue (most kinds of white craft glue will work)
- A clear plastic cup
- Food coloring (you pick the color)
- Borax (available at most large grocery stores near the laundry detergent)
- Small plate, dish or plastic wrap
- A Popsicle stick (for stirring)
What do you do?
- Beforehand: Mix about a teaspoon of the Borax into a cup of water and stir (it usually doesn't fully dissolve)
- Fill the plastic cup with about 1/2 inch of Elmer's glue.
- Add 20 ml (three tablespoons) of water to the glue and stir.
- Add 2 drops of food coloring and stir again.
- Add two tablespoons of the Borax solution and stir well.
- Lift out the stick with the goo and place it on the dish.
- Let it sit for a minute and then pull it off the stick and play with it!
How does it work?
This POLYMER is unique because it has qualities of both a solid and a liquid. It can take the shape of its containers like a liquid does, yet you can hold it in your hand and pick it up like a solid. As you might know, solid molecules are tight together, liquid molecules spread out and break apart (drops). POLYMER molecules CHAIN themselves together (they can stretch and bend like chains) and that makes them special. Jell-O, rubber bands, plastic soda bottles, sneaker soles, even gum are all forms of polymers. The polymer you made should be kept in a sealed plastic bag when you aren't playing with it.