Film Canister Rocket
Build and launch a rocket that goes 10 feet in the air!
What you need:
- One 35mm plastic film canister (the container most 35mm film comes in)
- The lid that come with the 35mm film canister
- One antacid tablet (such as Alka-Seltzer)
What do you do?
- Go outside.
- Remove the lid from the film canister and put one antacid tablet in the container.
- Add a teaspoon of water to the container.
- Do the next 2 steps quickly - put the cap on and make sure that is on tightly. Quickly put the canister on the ground CAP SIDE DOWN and STEP BACK at least 2 meters.
- About 10 seconds later, you will hear a POP! and the film canister will launch into the air!If it does not launch, wait at least 30 second before examining the canister. Usually the cap is not on tight enough.
How does it work?
When you add the water it starts to dissolve the Alka-Seltzer tablet. This creates a gas called carbon dioxide. It also creates pressure inside the film canister. As more gas is made, more pressure builds up until the cap it blasted down and the rocket is blasted up. This system of thrust is how a real rocket works whether it is in outer space or here in the earth's atmosphere.